Banana Carob Almond Coconut Muffins
- Makes : 10-12 muffins
- Oven Temperature : 350˚F (175˚C)
- Baking Time : 30m
The flavors of banana and coconut compliment each other well, and the addition of almonds and carob in these moist muffins complete this union.
- 2 cups whole spelt or wheat flour (500 ml)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda and fine sea salt (2 ml)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (5 ml)
- 1/2 cup canola oil or other natural oil (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (125 ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk (250 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed (375 ml)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed (15 ml)
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup dried medium-sized coconut flakes (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup carob chips (125 ml)
Prepare a muffin tray by lightly oiling 10 muffin tins. Set aside.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar, vanilla, soy milk and lemon juice, and whisk together until emulsified. Stir in the bananas.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir together, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the almonds, coconut and carob chips.
Scoop spoonfuls of the mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling each tin level. Place the pan in a preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan before gently lifting them out of the tins.
Reprinted with permission from the author, Laura Matthias.
Photograph © Wanda Embar.