Fettuccine with Creamy Squash Sauce
- Servings : 6
- Ready In : 25 to 35 minutes
The squash in the sauce adds richness without any fat. It also adds a sweetness that can be balanced with a little salt.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, diced, and steamed (3 cups)
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery, cut on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced carrots, cut on the diagonal
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 6 cups cooked pasta (whole wheat fettuccine is especially good)
Blend the steamed squash with the soy milk and the arrowroot or cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Sauté the celery, carrots, onions, and seasonings for about 5 minutes. Add the squash mixture and continue cooking, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened.
Spoon the sauce over the cooked pasta.
Substitute 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets for the celery and 1 cup quartered mushrooms for the carrots. Or you may wish to use these vegetables in addition to the celery and carrots.
Reprinted with permission from the author, Ron Pickarski.
Photograph © Wanda Embar.